My Blog List

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

25 Days of Christmas Cocktails: Hot Buttered Rum, Hot Buttered Bourbon


My office at work backs up to the work-out facility, and though I’ve been assured it’s not the case, I’m quite sure we share the same thermostat.  In other words, it’s around 60F◦ in my office year round; it's  so significantly colder that people walking down my hallway comment on the temperature drop as they pass by my open door.  Needless to say that sitting in this freezer, when coupled with this grey drizzly cold weather, I cannot get warm!  All I can think about is something toasty to drink when I get home.  In fact, I couldn’t make up my mind --  so today is a twofer. Since the recipes are quite similar and I didn’t want to post the second on another day, let your spirit preference be your guide on which cocktail to make.  Whether Rum or Bourbon, here’s a way to get that nose and those toes nice and warm. 
 
Hot Buttered Bourbon
From Design Sponge (http://www.designsponge.com/2012/12/behind-the-bar-jen-altmans-hot-buttered-bourbon.html)
Makes 4
4T. butter (softened)
1/2 t. honey
1/4 t. cloves
1/4 t. ginger
1/2 t. cinnamon
2 c. orange juice
1 T. sugar
3/4 c. bourbon
1. Heat the orange juice over medium heat and whisk in the sugar until it dissolves completely. Let warm on low heat.

2. Meanwhile, mix the butter, honey, cloves, ginger and cinnamon until thoroughly combined.
3. When the orange juice comes to a low simmer, whisk in the butter until it’s melted into the orange juice. Whisk in bourbon. Serve immediately with cinnamon sticks — use the sticks to mix the drink if the butter begins to separate from the juice and bourbon.

Hot Buttered Rum

Makes 4
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups apple cider
2 cups dark rum
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 Tablespoon pumpkin spice seasoning
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon honey



1.  Pour the water, cider and rum into a kettle or saucepan and bring to a boil.
2.  While your brew is brewing, combine the butter, pumpkin spice seasoning, vanilla extract and honey in a small bowl.
3.  Divide brew and butter into 4 pretty cups or mugs. Add a cinnamon stick and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment